1fbd448c7c9224ebac48cf940eaf38d40dfb899032468364bd

Thursday, April 4, 2013

Antique Advertising Soap Dispenser {DIY}

I love old advertising. Mostly, I love the fonts/typestyles in old advertising.

I was looking for something to dress up a plain glass bottle to make it into a soap dispenser for the bathroom (this square bottle is out of a box lot from an auction and a soap pump just happens to fit perfectly!) when I came across this graphic:
From The Graphics Fairy
I knew I had to use it. I LOVE the fonts and knew I wouldn't find anything close so I decided to find a way to use this original. My soap dispenser jar is tall and narrow so this is not the right shape at all. I needed about a 2" X 5" image.

I opened this image in my Silhouette Studio. I began by using the cut tool to cut the lines apart. Then I deleted the ones I didn't plan to use and trimmed as closely as I could to the ones I did plan to use. I re-configured the Olive Oil and English Fig to be 2 lines. I would have like to use more of the image but I didn't have space. The "Compliments of" was too small and the quality was poor so I did use a font from my computer for that. I added some 'swirlys' from my computer and grouped the whole thing together. I opened the trace tab and adjusted the settings until it was mostly the way I wanted it. Because there is a background, it picked up some dots so after I traced it, I enlarged it and used the eraser tool to remove the dots.

I cut it out of black vinyl and weeded it. Whoa, was it ever a pain to weed! Those letters were tiny! I had to use a straight pin to reposition some of them but when I had it how I liked it, I put the transfer tape over top and transferred it to my jar. Now I'm trying to decide if I want to use the clear soap or go colored. What do you think?
Now I just need to find some rusty little old keys......

For those of you with Silhouette machines, you can download the file for free here: DOWNLOAD
This is my first time trying to share a file this way so please let me know if you try it and it doesn't work.
This file is for personal use ONLY. 


Linking to:
From the Farmhouse

6 comments:

  1. Love it. Unfortunately, I have a Cricut rather than a Silhouette for the time being. Too much invested to give it up now, but I can wish, right? And I'll have this in mind for the future. Thanks for sharing your creativity.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think this is just darling.... and since you asked, I think I would use an opaque white (or pearlized white) soap. It would make the lettering really pop.

    Really cute!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is so cute! Thank you for sharing! I'm not very good with using my Silhouette yet so there's no way I could have done this. I have a square bottle soap dispenser I picked up at Goodwill a couple years ago that this will be perfect for!.

    If you feel so inclined to share any other wonderful creations you make on your Silhouette it will be greatly appreciated! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Every time I try to respond back to your comments on my blog the delivery fails. I really want to respond back to you, do you know why?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for sharing your info. I truly appreciate your efforts and I will be waiting for your next write ups thanks once again.

    bottom load water dispensers prices

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to make my day with your comments!