1fbd448c7c9224ebac48cf940eaf38d40dfb899032468364bd

Friday, April 6, 2012

Gray and White Master Bedroom Reveal

Finally! Wow, I'm breathing a sigh of relief. I thought I had plenty of time to finish all the little projects that needed finished before I could say my master bedroom makeover was finished but life sure got in the way. :) We've all been sick and the baby was the worst. Between him not sleeping well at night and being fussy during the day, I had to struggle to get this room done for the 

Ok, enough blathering. Here are the pics. To refresh your memory, this is where we started.

Because the carpet is blue, I 'thought' I had to paint the walls blue. UGH! I never liked them and finally last fall I (with the help of my mom) began the makeover. 

Here's where we are today.


My goal was a restful gray and white with a few touches of blue to tie in the carpet. 
We began by painting the walls and ceiling Gravity by Valspar and the wooden trim white. The bathroom door came off (and was sold on Craigslist) and replaced with a sliding 'barn' door.
BEFORE

AFTER

DH added crown molding (much to my delight). :)

I took off the closet doors because the one interfered with the bedroom door. 
Closet - BEFORE

The one on the right had to be shut before the bedroom door could open.
The closet doors didn't work right anyway so I just took them off. I like the ease of it the
way it is but sometime I may put curtains or something there.
Right now it looks like this.
Closet - AFTER
Mom and I spent one whole day putting in the closet system. And it's a simple one. 
Who knows how long it would have taken us for a complex system. :)

This old farmhouse is heated pretty much solely by a wood stove in the kitchen. For some reason our bedroom doesn't receive much of the heat so we have one of those electric fireplace heaters in our room.
It functions well but it was too small and it just wasn't pretty. So, it got a make over. :)
BEFORE:

AFTER:

I'll share in the story of it's makeover in another post. 
I'm loving having a mantle to decorate now.

An antique vanity became our nightstands.


His side
My side
The lamps I purchased from Hobby Lobby when they were 50% off. The monogrammed covers are also from Hobby Lobby. They are linen napkins. :) I just thought they add a touch of elegance. Rusty iron trivet from a garage sale serves as a coaster.

This is the wall opposite the bed. I don't have a before of this angle but it just had the heater sitting there.



The curtains are from the clearance table at JC Penneys - $7 apiece. :) They actually have the large grommets to hang them (which I didn't like) so I hung them upside down. :) No one ever sees the grommets dangling behind the bed. I hung them on a closet pole. The window is narrow and long and looks out of proportion. I tried to balance it out by hanging the curtains the full width of the bed. So basically, the curtains cover the wall.

The light is from a garage sale - $30. I put a plug on the end of it and it plugs into an outlet that I installed where that funky light used to be. (Above the bed on the before picture.)

Bedding from following sources:
Quilt: eBay
Sheets: Kohls
Blanket: Amazon
Shams: TJ Maxx
Bed skirt: Me :)
Gray throw pillow: Me
Ruffled throw pillow: Groopdealz

 I hope this gives you an idea of how my room is transformed.
I really like it now. I can finally say my room is FINISHED!

Sneaking in under the wire at:

15 comments:

  1. Do you travel and do other's rooms? I surely need your ideas, although it would be a far piece to come to my home. Lovely, lovely. So restful and peaceful, just like you wanted it to be. I love the fireplace also. The night tables, my Mr takes old dressing tables and makes them too. They are taller than the older style night tables and they sell well for us. You did good...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Helen! I enjoy decorating and would love to do it for others. Maybe when my kids are grown. :)

      Delete
  2. WOW...nicely done! you put in a lot of thought & work & i'd say you're well reawarded - LOVE! Esther

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a lovely bedroom! LOVE your rustic touches and seriously swooning at that farm door! And then my eyes landed on your picket fence section on your fireplace. What a perfect placement for it! LOVE.

    Shared on FJI Facebook and pinned for SNS 127. :)

    https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10150755346901141&set=a.192514281140.164586.175378011140&type=1&theater

    Donna

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the room Rachel! You've done a fantastic job!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love your redo and the heater/fireplace mantle is gorgeous -- LOVE that piece of fence. Hanging the curtains upside down was brilliant!! Love it all! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I came over to look at your barn door, then had to look at your bedroom make over. Wow, it's an amazing transformation. I'm glad I popped in.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi, I'm new to your blog. I am coming by Beneath My Heart. I love what you did with your bedroom and I LOVE the barn door. The mantle for the heater is awesome and I also love the picket fence. I have been wanting to find old salvageable pieces like fencing but I cannot find it around where I live. Great transformation!

    ReplyDelete
  8. WOW! Can you please come make over my room! I love what you did!
    Gina

    ReplyDelete
  9. Rachel! What a beautiful transformation! Every detail is lovely. I'm going to include a link back to your DIY sliding barn door in this week's highlights at the DIY Show Off. ;) Thank you so much for sharing your hard work!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your bedroom is beautiful! You've done a magnificent makeover of it. I love what you did with the fireplace, the mantel has great presence now.
    Hugs, Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love what you have done in the bedroom. New follower and I will be back to visit more.
    Blessings,
    Audrey Z @ Timeless Treasures

    ReplyDelete
  12. Beautiful! I love the new "fireplace." What a great idea for a portable heater! The barn doors are awesome too. I'd love it if you would share this at "What We Accomplished Wednesday," at Green Willow Pond. It is live right now. Have a great week!

    Hugs,
    Deborah

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to make my day with your comments!