1fbd448c7c9224ebac48cf940eaf38d40dfb899032468364bd

Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Faux Grain Sack Pillow

I've been loving all the faux grain sack pillows I'm seeing on Pinterest and blogs so today I decided to try my hand at it.

A 'vintage' feed sack towel from Joann Fabrics, a graphic from the Graphics Fairy, and an image transfer tutorial  and voila! A faux grain sack pillow.


Once I figured out how to get the transfer onto the towel without looking smeary the project went very quickly. I transferred the image to the center of the towel. Then I folded the bottom up and the top down to form an envelope of sorts. Sewed down each side and tucked a pillow form inside. Easy peasy. It could even be a no-sew project; just used Stitch Witchery at the sides and iron it to fuse it.

This is what the back looks like. The ends just overlap forming the 'envelope'. No closure needed. :)

Below is the graphic I used. I just edited out the background and reversed the image. Then I printed it on my laser printer and used CitraSolv to transfer it.
A few things I learned:
     #1 Iron the fabric to remove wrinkles. Wrinkles make it hard to keep the paper with the image perfectly still. (Imperative!)
   
     #2 Fasten your paper with the image WELL. You do not want it to move AT ALL! I used a combo of pins and tape.

     #3 Too much CitraSolv will make the image run. :(

I learned this by trial and error. My 3rd try was the one I was happy enough with to use. (Thankfully the towels come 3 to a pack!)

As a side note: Is CitraSolv the same thing as Goo Gone?! It sure smells and looks the same. Wondering if anyone has ever tried image transfers with Goo Gone. :) I bet it would work just as well.

Here's the pillow residing in it's new home.

The chair was another DIY project. I'll share before and afters in another post. :)

EDIT: I'm including the edited image in this post if you want to grab it for your own project.



Linking this project to:

Wow us Wednesdays at Savvy Southern Style


5 comments:

  1. Yep, I was noticing the chair and wanted to know if you did it. Looking forward to that post. I might try this transfer stuff. I have to look up what you used, but I love the idea.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the tips! I want to buy some material similar to feed/flour sack and paint a stripe then do a word transfer and make it into a table runner.
    I wondered if a laser printer would do the trick. Now I know.
    Darling pillow!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for sharing all the details (where you bought the towel, the mirror image printable, AND some things to avoid). I will be giving this a try!
    New follower,
    Eilis
    my-heart-lives-here.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ρrettу! This was an incrediblу wonderful articlе.
    Тhаnκ you fоr providing this info.
    Also visit my page : loans for bad credit

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sick and tired of wrinkled skin?
    The ChinUp Mask can help to reduce the appearance of fat around the chin while hydrating the skin.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to make my day with your comments!