I was never in love with the carved design at the top so I filled it in with spackling (hey, it's what I had on hand).
I should have used primer on it at this point but I didn't.
Learn from me.
I was planning to use ASCP Old White
and it doesn't need a primer.
However, there are still some applications
that benefit from primer.
Meanwhile, my original intention to disguise the mirror failed. I've seen the Mod Podge transfers in blogland and decided to try it on the mirror. I couldn't find anyone that had tried it on a mirror so I didn't know if it would work or not. Now I know - it's 'or not'. I quickly went to plan B.
Using a scrap of drop cloth, a T-shirt transfer, and a free graphic from the Graphics Fairy, I created what you see. I Mod Podged it to the mirror and re-inserted it. The hooks received several light coats of oil rubbed bronze paint.
I'm loving the new look! And the best part is, I had most of what I used on hand. The only things I bought were the transfers and the center part of the embellishment. So, for about $3.35, I have project #1 completed for the master makeover.