1fbd448c7c9224ebac48cf940eaf38d40dfb899032468364bd

Wednesday, August 24, 2011

DIY Lamp Shades - Pottery Barn Knockoffs

Remember my thrift store lamps made over  that I needed shades for? Well, I found shades I really liked but I did NOT like the price tag. They were from Pottery Barn but are not available any longer. I don't remember for sure but I think they were $89. Apiece. And I needed 2. No absolutin', tootin' way! A little DIY later......

Original version from Pottery Barn: (above) and my DIY version: (below)

When I began brainstorming how I could get these shades without paying the price, I first thought to find drum shades and recover them. However, I couldn't find a pair of shades in the size I needed.  Enter lampshade parts, drop cloth, and paint pens. I tore the drop cloth into the size I needed and pressed it smooth.
Using masking tape, I masked off the lines and took a paint pen and filled in the spaces. Then I took spray adhesive and attached the drop cloth to the lamp shades I had made. I used a hot glue gun to fasten the edges up underneath and VIOLA! here is the finished product.

Price breakdown as follows:
Lamp shade parts: $35 (1/3 of that was shipping!)
Drop cloth: $5 (I used half of $9.98)
Paint pen and miscellaneous: $5
Total: $45 for BOTH lamp shades or about $23 apiece.

Linking to the parties in my 'Favorite Places to Link' tab.
http://savvysouthernstyle.blogspot.com/2011/08/wow-us-wednesdays-28.html

On a side note: I know my photography totally stinks. Please help! I welcome any and all pointers you can give me.

23 comments:

  1. Amazing! You take on tasks that would simply floor me. I am in the same catagory as to photography skills, but, I am so thankful to have a simple camera to put into pictures what I am, at least, thinking. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. PERFECT!!
    I've been waiting to do a table runner but I'm afraid of not getting the lines straight!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is so gorgeous! I am re-doing my master bedroom (on the cheap, of course), and this would be great for our lampshade. Thanks for sharing it! I love your windmill photo. I grew up on a farm, so it brings back memories! I'm following your blog now.

    Come visit!


    Kelly

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great makeover!! I am so impressed! I think I will have to try it sometime.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is one great DIY project...I love them, I'll have to get some paint pens though! I'm your newest follower BTW, stop by when you get a few minutes!

    Rondell

    ReplyDelete
  6. You did a wonderful job on these! They will look terrific in your wonderful farmhouse. I'm a new follower too!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is just beautiful.. My gosh...you did a fantastic job.
    xo bj

    ReplyDelete
  8. B.E.A.U.T.I.F.U.L!! They look amazing!

    What kind of new camera did you get?

    ReplyDelete
  9. I LOVE this idea! Such a great way to make a super cute lamp shade. Great job! I would love to have you share this at my link party, Show & Share!

    http://southernlovely.blogspot.com/2011/08/show-share-2.html

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love Love Love the shades! Thanks so much for your sweet comment! I am a new follower.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Those are fantastic lamp shades. So happy to visit with you from LaurieAnna's.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great job! I've been considering replicating these PB shades myself!

    ReplyDelete
  13. That does look great, nice job!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow, your version looks just as great as the pottery barn ones!!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Rachel, I just followed your link from FJI. I love these shades! I've looked a long time for some drum shades & can't find the right size either. Can you please give us more detail on how you made lampshade base? Did you actually make the base or buy them? Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Fabulous! I'll be featuring these tonight!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Rachel, the link to go to "Valerie's" doesn't work for me, however, I can come to your home page. just letting you know I can't see your guest post (sigh)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Rachel, thanks for blogging for me today!! I love having you as my guest... here is the link to your post.... http://wwwglimpseofmyworld.blogspot.com/2011/09/guest-blogger-friday-come-on-in-door-is.html

    ReplyDelete
  19. Cute, cute, cute!!

    Did your mustard colored shutter come from the Restore? It looks just like the one I got from there awhile back. :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. It's good to see beautiful stuffs here, that just got me inspired. The lamps are fabulous. They look great. Your ideas are surely remarkable.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Just stumbled across these while looking for lamp inspiration... Love them!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to make my day with your comments!